Tuesday 21 May 2013

Slap in the face of surrealism.

So.. I just received a letter from America,
a tangible written 'words-on-paper' letter from the other side of the globe.

It's from a friend who's in the army there, a girl who got herself
into medical hold and who seeks support from her good friend
-me- because she doesn't receive a lot of letters while her
buddies there get 1-5 each day.

It's.. strange.. me holding that envelope.
I haven't gotten a single letter since I got to this world.
As I read the woman's words, over and over,
I thought of an appropriate response.
Slowly, letters filled the paper and I talked about my life here,
and how she must go on, how she's a fighter, not a quitter.

But I also want to give her something personal to hang on to
when life is rough, thousands of miles away from my door,
and I want to include that in my envelope when I send it to her.

Hmmrgh... what can I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment